What is Medicare?
Medicare is the US Federal Government Health Insurance Program for:
- People 65 years of age and older.
- Some people with disabilities under age 65.
- People with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant).
- Part A (Hospital Insurance)
Most people do not have to pay for Part A.
- Part B (Medical Insurance)
Most people pay monthly for Part B.
- Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans)
Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private insurance companies as an alternative to Original Medicare; plans are government subsidized and regulated.
- Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage)
Part D Plans are offered by private companies to provide coverage for prescription drug costs; plans are government subsidized and regulated.